Derek Kirkup is an English composer and arts producer. A graduate of the Academy of Contemporary music, he started his career in songwriting before moving into scoring for film.
Among his credits are the award-winning interactive feature ‘Olive Green’, which won in competition with HBO’s Game of Thrones web series to win the Gold World medal at New York Festivals TV and Film awards. He has collaborated with director Carl Mackenzie several times, including on the acclaimed short ‘The Interrogation of Olivia Donovan’. Most recently he completed his second collaboration with director James Webber scoring feature film ‘Sorority’, starring BAFTA winner Sophie Kennedy Clark and double BAFTA winner Kate Dickie.
In addition to his film scoring work, Derek has read scripts for Hollywood studio Eclectic Pictures, and is associate producer and composer with interactive-film company Choice Point Productions, alongside Carl Mackenzie and founder and psychologist Kasia Wilk, with the aim of producing drama that promotes conscious awareness of the power of choice.
2021 Unseen Scars (pre-production)
* Official Selection British Urban Film Festival 2020
* Nominated Best Feature British Urban Film Festival 2020
* Nominated Best Actor (Sam Gittins) British Urban Film Festival 2020
* Official Selection Cardiff International Film Festival
* Official Selection London Lift-Off Film Festival 2020
* Official Selection Southampton International Film Festival 2020
The Marshlands (TV Series) (1 episode) (post-production)- Pilot
2017 All Clear (Short)
2017 Hushy Bye (Short)
2017 Just a Day (Short)
2016 The Interrogation of Olivia Donovan (Short) Watch
* Jury Special Mention Manchester International Film Festival 2017
2014 Olive Green (music composer)
2012 Working in Time (Short)
2009 Where Is My Solomon? (Short) (as Dez Kirkup)
2008 Don’t Look at Me (I’m Ugly in the Morning) (as Dez Kirkup)
2008 On Friendship and Fidelity (Short)
2007 A Dog’s Life… (Short) (as Dez Kirkup)